Ranch Hand - Full Time Mon-Fri
Boys and Girls Country’s mission is to change the lives of children from families in crisis by loving and nurturing them in a Christian home, raising them to become self-sustaining and contributing adults. Boys and Girls Country provides a loving, stable, Christian home for children whose families cannot care for them.
Boys and Girls Country serves up to 88 boys and girls aged five to eighteen and 14-20 young adults in our College and Career program. Boys and Girls Country is located 35 miles northwest of Houston. I
The Ranch Operations and 4-H Manger position is a full-time, non-exempt position that reports to the Operations Manager. This position is responsible for the care of the livestock as well as the general operation of the ranch and 4-H Program. The responsibilities of the Ranch Operations and 4-H Manager include, but are not limited to, the following:
Roles and Responsibilities
- Responsible for coordinating with the Operations Manager any buying or selling of Livestock.
- Responsible for keeping an accurate recorded inventory of livestock.
- Responsible to keep a well maintained and healthy herd.
- Responsible to keep up the condition of all barns, pens, and fences.
- Responsible for maintaining all ranch equipment in good working order.
- Responsible to keep all ranch areas and store rooms neat and organized.
- Responsible for the preparation of animals to be processed for the Food Services Distribution Center, as requested by the Operations Manager.
- Responsible for assisting the Operations Manager in preparing and maintaining the annual budget.
- Ensure timely pick up, inventory, and accounting for all donated livestock.
- Report any loss of equipment or supplies to the Operations Manager.
- Ensure timely pickups and fill out all needed donation information including the In-Kind Donation Form.
- Donations Pickup: Keep the donation truck clean and maintained.
4 H Program
- Oversee 4-H program coordination.
- With the assistance of all 4-H members, maintain all facilities in a clean and healthy manner.
- Purchase all animals needed for the residents to show.
- Maintain a healthy breeding program.
- Work with Teaching Parents and other staff to coordinate the time needed for residents to work with their animals.
- Clear communication to all staff of mandatory dates and times of shows and clinics.
- Coordinate schedules for 4-H members and staff for the Waller County Fair.
- Oversee all communication with the Waller County Fair officials.
- Oversee and coordinate all start-up and closeout procedures related to the Waller County Fair (i.e. entry forms and paperwork, animal transportation, animal care while at the show, event participation, and cleanup).
- Support other members of the Operations Team with carrying out their maintenance duties
- Provide skills, trades, or labor on any given task
- Assist with the student Apprentice Program to help teach kids new skills
- Must be cleared through a criminal background and FBI finger print investigation.
- Must be cleared through a drug test panel.
- All staff who have contact with students must be tested for tuberculosis before the staff is assigned a responsibility to care for students
- Must attend Boys and Girls Country orientation and pre-service training.
- Must have at least two years of experience in the maintenance field and five years of experience as a certified mechanic.
- Must be self-motivated and willing to try new task.
- Must be a high school or vocational school graduate
- Five years of experience in the ranch operation field
- Must have a working knowledge of managing a ranch including experience in cow/ calf operations and feedlot.
- Good organizational skills.
- Demonstrated leadership skills. Must be a cooperative team member.
- Must display a positive attitude and show support of Boys and Girls Country mission and values at all times.
All Boys and Girls Country employees must have the following characteristics:
Compassionate, Professional, Good Ethical and Moral Character, Communication Skills, Positive Attitude, Team Oriented, Integrity, Dedicated/Dependable, Creative, and Endurance